Nothing goes according to plan

Took a little day trip down to Washington to climb Hurricane Ridge. The plan was to head down on Saturday morning, do the climb, camp out, and then sneak in another ride somewhere on Sunday before heading back.

The departure for the trip down was made at a (relatively) reasonable hour and was uneventful. Instead of paying the exorbitant BC Ferries rate, we drove through Anacortes and took the much better priced Coupeville-Port Townsend ferry. Even with the drive time and fuel cost, we still came out ahead compared to passing through the Island. Alex and I enjoyed pretty much perfect weather for the entire day: sunny, but a cool 20°C with a slight breeze and were able to enjoy a very recently repaved road up to the summit.

Camping plans didn't quite pan out, so huge thanks to Julie for enduring a long late night drive back to Vancouver.

5/7. Would do again.


I try and make my way up Mount Baker to Artist Point at least once every season. Given this year's snowfall, I'd been eagerly awaiting the upper road to be opened to the public, but travel during the last two weekends has kept me away, so I missed opening weekend on June 23. 

There's a constantly updating shot list I keep in my head and after seeing this image from Kristoff Ramon earlier this season, I knew I wanted to head up to do my own take on it.

Giro '16 - Stage 6. Credit: Kristoff Ramon.

Giro '16 - Stage 6. Credit: Kristoff Ramon.

The forecast for today was supposed to be sunny, but that was definitely not the case. As we left Vancouver, we were greeted by an intermittent drizzle that turned into a steady drizzle as we neared the border. By the time we got to Sumas, it had turned into a steady light rain. My friend turned to me from the passenger seat and asked if I wanted to keep driving. Plan B was to start the ride at North Fork Brewery, but as the rain continued, we moved on to Plan C and starting from the base of the climb at the Glacier Ranger Station.

Our luck with weather on this trip never seems to work out completely, but we were thankful that the rain dialled itself back to drizzle and even stopped for a while as we ascended. The top of the mountain was completely socked in though, so all we saw up top was 50 shades of grey. The mist and the temperature at the top meant that nobody wanted to stand around for long, let alone set up for any of my photos, so we quickly turned around and started the descent. Visibility wasn't terrible and despite the damp air and roads, the way down wasn't as treacherous as I thought it'd be.

Oh well. There's always next year.